Army Life – Lad’s Introduction To The Army (1) – May, 1942


My friend, GP Cox, writes a blog called pacificparatrooper, a tribute to the 11th Airborne Division in the Pacific during World War II. That story line has come to the point where Alaska is being invaded in June of 1942. You’ll find GP’s blog at .

GP and I are writing blogs about the same time period from two very different viewpoints. GP will be writing about the invasion of Alaska and other war news. My blog, based on 7 ½ years of letters written by my grandfather to his sons who were scattered around the world, will present the viewpoint of an ordinary family, trying to live an ordinary life, during the same time frame. In the next few weeks, I’ll be posting letters written by my grandfather and my father. You will notice that there is no news about Alaska being invaded. This was overshadowed by other war news. 

To set the stage, in January, 1942 my Uncle Dan, number two son, was drafted and at this point is in North Carolina for training. In June of 1942, my father, Lad, son number one, was drafted and sent to The Ordnance Training Center at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland. My Uncle Ced, son number three, has been in Alaska since June, 1940. He is working at the Woodley Airfield as an airplane mechanic and is living with a family friend, Rusty Heurlin, who became one of Alaska’s most famous landscape and wildlife artists. You can read the first week of letters by clicking on the category Alaska in the War.

APG - First letter to Grandpa from Aberdeen Proving Grounds - May 18, 1942


Pvt. A.P. Guion

Co. B 14 Bn ORTC

Aberdeen Proving Ground


May 18, 1942

Dear Dad: –

We left Derby on time and stopped at Ansonia. Here a second car was filled, and after a stop at Waterbury the third car was filled and our next stop was Hartford. Here we detrained at a few minutes before nine and walked about 1 ½ blocks to the Induction Center. There were so many of us that the complete inspection was not over until 2:45. The actual inspection per person was not more than 30 or 35 min., if that much. At 3 PM the 88 who had passed the examinations out of 169, were put into a separate car and in a few minutes a train coupled onto the car and we were off. The train stopped nowhere until it got to Worchester, Mass. Here a switch engine hooked onto our car and while the train went on, we were switched back and forth, and ended up on the track going in the opposite direction. Here another train picked us up and again we were off. Our next stop was in Ayer, Mass., where there is no platform of any kind. The tracks run through the backyard of Camp Devens. Here, with our baggage, we were again given a short march and after a little discussion concerning behavior in the camp we were issued raincoats and a barracks bag, another hike to Co. B, 1st Bn., and we were issued blankets. Incidentally, we detrained at Fort Devens at 5:40, 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Then came supper and bed making instructions and we were more than glad to turn in at 9:00.

Friday we rose at 5:45 A.M., policed the barracks and fell out for breakfast. Immediately after that we were taken to Q.M.C. and issued our uniforms. What a system. It takes about four or five minutes from the time you start, stark naked, til you emerge at the other end very well fitted from the skin out, and in six complete uniforms with two complete changes of everything else. Then came an Aptitude test – lunch – and a private interview. Back to the theater to be shown a film on the evil side of sex, a couple of short welcome speeches – supper – a couple of fallout calls to advise some of the men that they were leaving early Sat. morning and then to bed.

Sat – up at 5:45 and out for reveille where 10 fellows and myself were told we would be ready to leave at 7:15. A rush to breakfast, again to the medical section for injections and a vaccination, back again for clothes and we fell out at 7:21 for the trip to wherever it was. We were marched out to the same lot at which we detrained when we first arrived and here we were told to wait for further orders. We waited until 8:30 and then were assembled and marched back to the road again, a distance of a couple of hundred yards and were put onto a truck. By truck we were taken a few miles to Fitchburg where we again waited and at 9:21 a train pulled in. At the rear was a special car and we were loaded into this. By now we numbered 44. A sergeant was in charge. He would give us no information as to where we were going, not even if it were a long trip. However with spirits undaunted, we had a good time. At Greenfield, Mass., we were shunted again and changed direction of travel from west to south. Our next stop was at Springfield where we were put onto a siding and taken into the station for lunch. After lunch we boarded the car again and in a couple of minutes another train backed up and again we were off. We stopped at Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford and Penn Station. We were ordered not to mail anything or make phone calls until we arrived at our destination, so I could not write anything to you. A half hour stop in Penn. Station, while a Penn. Engine was put on in place of the New Haven, during which time we ate a box lunch, and then began a real ride. On the New Haven road we had made good time, and only a few stops, but the track was quite rough and I don’t think we traveled better than 45 or 50 M.P.H. The first stop on the new leg was at Newark and then began a fast non-stop trip. The only times we slowed down below 75 M.P.H. (according to my figuring – the mile posts were going by every 44 or 45 seconds) was when we switched from the local track to the express or vice versa. On this trip we passed two freight trains, two locals and one express. All of them moving. It took about 2 ½ or 3 miles to pass the express, but we did it. Our next stop was Philadelphia, then Wilmington and then Aberdeen. Here, to our surprise, we all got off and were taken by truck, in the rain, to our present location (see the letterhead). We were issued blankets, assigned to barracks and were glad to go to bed even though it was only 9:30.

Sunday we had nothing to do, and also being in quarantine for a two-week period, we could do nothing. I acquainted myself as well as I could with in our limited grounds, about 2000 x 1000 feet, and made a few purchases at the PX (Camp store – Post Exchange) which we are lucky enough to have within grounds and again retired.

Monday began our training and was spent in learning marching fundamentals.

Today, Tuesday, we heard from a few of the Big Shots on the duties of the Ordnance Dept., and this afternoon, more drilling. Just now we are having an inspection of all equipment issued to us. And so will end today. And, believe me, we are all glad to hit the hay at 9:00 P.M. when the lights go out.

Tomorrow, I’ll post the rest of this letter. I’ll be continuing this story line for the next few weeks while GP is writing about the Invasion of Alaska.  The contrasts may surprise you.

Judy Guion

8 thoughts on “Army Life – Lad’s Introduction To The Army (1) – May, 1942

  1. My father was also at Aberdeen. He would have already been gone by May ’42.

    • jaggh53163 says:

      Adam – Please read the first part of my reply to Mrs. P. below. It applies to your comment also.
      I saw a great short newsreel about the women at Aberdeen, with actual footage or photos of Aberdeen. I want to find it again. Just to think that my Dad – and yours – actually saw the places we can see. Amazing.

  2. Mrs. P says:

    Great accounting of what it’s like entering the service.

    • jaggh53163 says:

      Mrs. P. – I really dislike this new email system Google has. Once a comment has been moved to a folder, all further comments get attached to it in the folder and do not appear in my INBOX. I just noticed tonight that there are 13 emails I haven’t seen because they are attached to other emails. Your was one.
      I found it fascinating – yrt so typical – of my Dad to catalog the experience in such detail. It sure explains a lot about how the Army – and probably other branches of the service – work. Very interesting.

      • Mrs. P says:

        Try this on the comments and see if it helps. In WordPress, click on the comment icon on the top right. Then at the heading of the comments there is a tab that says unread comments. Every once in a while I will click on that and find that I missed a few. Doing this allows me to check to make sure I got them all.

  3. Gallivanta says:

    The way they were shunted about you wouldn’t think anyone in charge knew what they were doing! But someone obviously had a master plan because everything fell into place eventually.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.