Trumbull – Dear Remainders (1) – September, 1941

Dan in white jacket in Alaska

Trumbull, Conn., Sept. 28, 1941

Dear remainders:

It was with a combination of pleasure and disappointment that Dan’s letter of the 18th was received in these here parts. Saturday I was eating breakfast before starting for the office when the phone went Buzz- – –buzz. George, thinks I to myself, wanting me to make a stop to pick up a job or something on the way down. But no, it was Barbara who had just gotten a letter from Dan saying that he was leaving on the 19th, arriving Seattle on the 24th and home four or five days thereafter. Well, that was something. At the store a letter from Dan verify the information and further indicated that because of the high hat attitude of the draft board in Anchorage he felt he would rather transfer from there to here, in which decision I am in hearty accord, aside from any personal feelings we might have of the pleasure of having the old globetrotter back in the fold again. To put the finishing touches on the incident, this morning Western Union called up and gave me the following telegraph message from Seattle, signed DAN: “Abandoned sled. Had to lunch on dog after moccasins became unpalatable. Will arrive Pennsylvania station by train from New Orleans 2 o’clock, Friday, October 3rd”. Shades of Rusty’s picture! Why via New Orleans? What was the lodestone that pulled him so far off his course? Who knows the vagaries of a vagabond child’s mind? Dave has been all but overcome with anticipation. He goes around with a faraway look in his eye and every once in a while no matter what the topic of conversation, blurts out some remark which shows he has no thought for anything else but Dan’s homecoming. Last night he could hardly get to sleep and admits his school work from now until Friday will have a strong Dan-ish tinge. Of course Lad and Aunt Betty and yours truly are also agog, but we manage, let us say, to control our exuberance.

Aunt Betty is in bed and probably will be all of this week. Yesterday morning when she woke up she found her right hand paralyzed. I drove for over to see Dr. Smith in Long Hill (Dr. Laszlo will not be back for some days yet). He gave her a very thorough examination and said she was “pretty smart for her age” and if she rested up (preferably in bed) for a week she ought to be much better. The use of her hand would gradually come back although for the first week rest was the important thing. After that one of the public health nurses who comes in every day, when required, would help it with massaging. One big thing in Aunt Betty’s favor for a quick recovery is her optimism and cheerful outlook on things which seems to have a direct reaction on the body and helps even more than medicine, according to the latest medical findings. Luckily it was very slight and the doctor said she had a very good chance of complete recovery. She has been in bed all day yesterday and today and just a few minutes ago, when I talked to her, she seemed already to be much brighter and feeling better. The doctor will drop in tomorrow sometime to see her and I will then ask him if she ought to have a practical nurse, or if one of the visiting nurses coming in every day is enough, I come home noontime and am getting lunch for Aunt Betty and myself.

Grandma, Burton and an old friend of Dorothy is – – Martha Gresham – – came up to dinner today. In view of Dorothy’s not feeling so well herself it seemed better for her not to have to worry about taking care of Aunt Betty, so she has gone back to New Rochelle with the rest today.

I’ll post the rest of this letter tomorrow.

On Friday, a longer post but the entire letter.

Judy Guion

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s